Funny how I did a search today for, “delay vaccinations for preemies” and most of the information came from other blogs. A lot of moms out there are pushing this information along. Our site, Friend In Reach, even came up on the first page; how exciting for us but really sad too. Shouldn’t there be tons of information talking about delaying vaccines for preemies? Why would our site show up on the first page? We should be on page 159 or something.

I spoke to a lawyer the other day and shared some of my personal experiences with vaccines. He represents parents who have had children badly affected by vaccinations. I told him my triplets were put on the same vaccination schedule has a singleton would be. His first comment to me was, “I hope you found another pediatrician. Your babies should have been on a delayed schedule.” It seems to make common sense to me…now. My babies were just one month, adjusted age, old when they were hit with their first round of shots. Not only were they around 5 pounds each but their immune systems were not fully developed; as a singleton born full term is.

If this information seems to be common sense to so many other Moms and professionals who deal with these matters on a daily basis, then why isn’t there a lot of information available? This has started me on a quest to gather information. I found the below Question and Answer on Dr. Jay Gordon’s web site (he produced a DVD titled, "Vaccinations? Assessing the Risk and Benefits"):

Q. My preemie son has his four month appointment this month and I know I am going to meet resistance from the Pediatrician about wanting to postpone his vaccinations. Is there anything printed that I can take with me that supports the decision to delay beyond the schedule used in the US? I've been planning to vaccinate him on a modified schedule (two shots each time instead of four), leaving out the Varivax, Prevnar and the Hepatitis B.

A. All of the conventional medical literature says that preemies should be vaccinated on schedule and not adjusted for gestational age. I disagree because the immune system should be allowed to mature. If a doc believes in vaccines, why not get the "most bang for your buck?" That is, get the maximum antibody response and protection for each vaccine given. There is nothing written, that I know of, to support this.

Since I am in the research collection phase of this project, please send me any information you may have to support or dispute the theory of delaying vaccinations for preemies. I really want to get to the bottom of this. Check back frequently as I research and find interesting information, I will post my findings.

Take Care,
Alicia

0 comments